One of my resolutions for 2013 was to read 50 books. Now that we’ve hit July and are officially half-way through the year, I’m realizing that goals may have been a tiny bit…optimistic. So far I’ve finished 10 books. Good ones mind you, but still only 10. And the only reason I’ve made it to 10 is that I told my wonderful Mother about my 50 book goal, and for my birthday she sent me a kindle! I seriously love it, it’s always in my bag wherever I go. It’s amazing how fast you can get through a book when you read a few pages here and there on your down time. Seriously, get a kindle. Right now.
Now that I’m electronically equipped, the next 10 books I plan to read are:
1. Serena by Ron Rash
2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
3. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
4. The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort
5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis
7. Daring Greatly by Dr. Brené Brown
8. The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
10. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
I’ve been wanting to sew new pillow covers for a while. But the absence of my sewing machine made me keep putting off the project, and the though of doing it by hand was daunting. I finally bit the bullet, sewed two sides of one pillow by hand…and drove to get my sewing machine the next day. And after a cool 30 minutes, wa-la! Good as new.
I really love these pillows. I purposefully picked four different but compatible fabrics because I felt it would better compliment the eclectic vibe we have going at Bungalow. And I loved them all so much choosing one would have been hard! Thanks to the machine, the only part I had to sew by hand was the openings I stuffed the pillows in. Because I was simply recovering these and not making all new pillows, I didn’t have to deal with stuffing the pillows, just shoving the old ones in their new cases! There you have, successful pillow-recover! I love the combo of bold solid colors with the flowers. Each of these fabrics are so fun, it makes me want to play with different fabrics more and more.
I found this fabric months ago, before we even moved into Bungalow. It was mostly my favorite because it was decorated in words that describe wine. Shiraz, Italy, Red, Smooth, Chardonnay, White, Blush, Harvest, Glass, Corkscrew, Robust, Grapes, and finally, Wine. I’m so happy with how these curtains turned out, they definitely add something to the kitchen. And sewing them with my magical machine took all of 5 minutes.
Well… actually an update on our couch. I told you here that my mom was coming to help me make a slipcover. She came, she saw, she sewed. I helped…a little. So, now I present to you the slipcover that my mom and I sewed BY HAND in one weekend…and the cushion covers that I sewed. My couch is all right angles and the duck cloth we made the slipcover with had finished sides that looked nice enough to me so we carefully (cleverly) planned the entire thing to have minimal sewing required. The back and sides of the couch were one long cut of the cloth that even came over the top of the back and ended where the seat meets the back of the couch, another piece went from the floor over the front meeting the other seam. Then we had diagonal seems at the top of the two corners, and some in the front where there are rectangular pieces. We ran out of cloth to cover the ottoman, so I put it in the guest room closet for now and I got to say, I think the room looks much bigger without it. So, for about 22 yards of duck cloth (yes, we had to hit up 2 different’ Joanne’s) and upholstery thread and needles I paid about $150. Not too bad, and much cheaper than any new couch, or buying a 13 foot long slip cover. I threw some skinny dowels into the recesses making the couch fit tighter and my mom iced her swollen fingers and we ended up with this beauty…
So what do you think? It was easier than I thought it would be, we got it done in a day and a half [BY HAND] if we had used a machine, it would have been a few hours tops. Do you want to try something like this? Do it.
So I was looking for a way to put some sort of decoration on my wall without actually painting, when I came across the idea of doing a book wall. I guess a more accurate description would be a book-page wall, because you literally cut the pages out of a book and basically glue them to a wall (disclaimer, some books did fall casualty to this art project. They will always be remembered).
I didn’t want to just glue straight only the wall, because I live in an apartment and when moving day inevitable comes, I didn’t feel like scraping glue and paper off a wall. So Adora and I came up with the plan to staple large pieces of white poster board to the wall and glue on to those. It worked perfectly!
Featured on the wall are the books Jane Eyre (my favorite book of all time), Pride & Prejudice, and two French books I found for a penny on Amazon whose names I can’t remember because, well, they’re in French,
Cut, staple, glue, repeat. It’s a little time consuming, but the result is exactly what I was going for (a sort of Parisian loft feel…a girl can dream).