If there’s one thing you’re short on with a new baby, it’s definitely “me” time. Little things like drying your hair or doing makeup begin to feel like luxuries! One of the things motherhood is teaching me is the importance of stealing a moment or two throughout the day for some self-care. Be it cooking and eating a nutritious meal, taking a hot shower, or sneaking in a few yoga poses – when you get a moment alone to collect yourself and feel good, it carries on to your baby.
So, in the spirit of self care, here’s my 5 minute mama makeup routine! After a shower, or just washing my face, I use Aveeno Positively Radiant tinted moisturizer. I follow that with powder foundation and a touch of blush. A bit of eyeliner on the upper waterline, natural colored eye-shadow, mascara, and a swipe of lip gloss and you’re done! 5 easy minutes and I feel ready to face the day.
I’ve never experienced a learning curve quite as steep as bringing a newborn home. All of a sudden you’re looking at this helpless little peanut who depends on you for everything. I thought I was prepared – I’d done the whole “nesting” thing, read countless articles about what to expect, and had a Pinterest board full of life-hacks for life with a newborn. But there were still a bunch of things we ended up needing to get life going smoothly; thank goodness for Amazon Prime!
Here’s my list of Mama essentials that will help smooth those first few weeks with baby:
1. Waterproof Sheet Protectors – if you don’t want to change your sheets with every single diaper or nipple leak, you’ll want these pads. I got about 6, since in those early days we went through about two or three a night.
2. Naturacare Maternity Pads – these all natural cotton pads will definitely help all the tenderness down there. Bonus, because these are all natural cotton, you won’t get the feeling of a UTI that Always Pads or anything that wicks can give you.
3. Extra Swaddle Blankets – I had a 4-pack, and with diaper leaks and spit up happening so often, we blew through them in one night. Our little guy needed to be swaddled to sleep soundly, so that didn’t work. We got a bunch more and cut down the daily laundry.
4. Extra Peri Bottle – the hospital or your midwife will give you one, but I highly recommend having two – one filled with warm water and the other with sitz bath herb water.
5. Extra Changing Pad Covers – You will go through these so fast…